LAII Celebrates International Education Week
November 15, 2016
The Latin American & Iberian Institute (LAII) is excited to celebrate International Education Week (IEW) November 14-18, 2016 with a wide range of events for diverse audiences.
IEW takes place locally at the University of New Mexico through the guidance of the Global Education Office (GEO) and nationally as part of a joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education. Both locally and across the country, IEW highlights internationally-focused activities on college campuses and invites students, faculty, and staff to celebrate the benefits of international education.
IEW was initially developed as part of an effort to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences. For more information about how IEW is unfolding at UNM, see the recent UNM Newsroom article on "Celebrating International Education Week at UNM" or view the full calendar of events.
Emphasizing the benefits of international education is an ongoing part of the LAII's mission and one we prioritize regularly with our programming. This week we are particularly excited to highlight several events organized as part of IEW, all of which invite campus and community members to think broadly about Latin America. These include:
- Monday, Nov. 14: LAII Lecture Series with Vladimir Safatle: What Remains from the Brazilian Dictatorship? The Collapse of an Infinite Redemocratization and the Fragility of Human Rights
- Monday, Nov. 14: LAII Vamos a Leer Book Group: The Book of Unknown Americans by Cristina Henríuez
- Wednesday, Nov. 16: LAII Lecture Series with Joseph Sorrentino: The Unwanted
- Thursday, Nov. 17: Musicology Colloquium Series with Ray Hernández-Durán: 'Sol y Sombra': Music in Images in the Arts of New Spain
- Thursday, Nov. 17: CNM*UNM LAS Speaker Series: After the Degree: LAS-Informed Careers
- Friday, Nov. 18: Foreign Language & Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowship Information Session