Students pursuing an MA, MA dual degree, or PhD in the Latin American Studies program may be considered for a graduate assistantship, which are typically awarded to incoming, meritorious students.
Recipients become an integral part of the Institute and directly support its efforts to create a stimulating environment for the production and dissemination of knowledge of Latin America and Iberia at UNM. In the process, professional development opportunities abound for the graduate assistant. The following is a sample of recent assignments:
- assisting with faculty projects
- supporting grant competitions
- marketing and design
- organizing academic lectures and symposia
- supporting outreach programming
- creating curricular materials for K-12 educators
- coordinating social media and other communication channels
Typically, graduate assistantships are awarded to incoming students who demonstrate outstanding academic promise. Due to the limited number of assistantships, not all students admitted to the program can be offered an assistantship. In the rare event that a graduate assistantship becomes available, currently enrolled students may be considered.