Dr. Segio Ascencio joined UNM and LAII in 2019. From 2018-2019, he was a Postdoctoral Associate at New York University Abu Dhabi. He received his PhD in Political Science from the University of Rochester in 2018 and a B.A. in Political Science from the Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México (ITAM) in Mexico City, Mexico (his hometown). His research interests lie at the intersection of comparative politics and political economy. He uses both formal theory and quantitative methods to study political institutions, electoral manipulation, and party strategy in developing democracies, with a focus on Latin America and has been published in the American Political Science Review.
- Ph.D., Political Science, University of Rochester
- B.A.,Political Science, Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México
- Political institutions in Latin America
- Electoral manipulation and party strategy in developing democracies
- Formal/Game Theory and Quantitative Methods