Ilia Rodríguez Nazario
Dr. Ilia Rodríguez received an appointment in the Department of Communication and Journalism at The University of New Mexico in 2003. Offering courses for undergraduate and graduate students, her teaching addresses topics such as news writing and reporting for the print media, introduction to mass communication, international media systems, and multiculturalism, gender, and media. She specializes in the history of journalism, U.S. ethnic minorities and media, and international communication with emphasis on Latin America, and her research centers on journalism as a discursive practice that constructs public knowledge and mediates social relations in today's multicultural society. Her work advances a critique of the role of mainstream and minority news media in shaping public understandings of multiculturalism, inter-ethnic relations, and national identities.
- PhD in Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Minnesota
- MA in Latin American Studies, University of California
- BA in Public Communication, University of Puerto Rico
- News Media
- Post-Colonial Inter-Ethnic Relations
- Race, Ethnicity, Gender, and Class