National Resource Center Designation
The Latin American & Iberian Institute at UNM is currently designated a National Resource Center (NRC) by the US Department of Education under the auspices of Title VI, Section 602(a) of the Higher Education Act of 1965. This designation, with accompanying grant funding, is conferred in order to establish, strengthen, and operate language and area or international studies centers that will be national resources for teaching any modern foreign language.
National Resource Centers are institutions which teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels and conduct research focused on specific world regions, international studies and the teaching of less commonly taught languages. Activities include K-16 teacher training programs that provide a keen understanding of the culture, history, politics, and economics of these regions; working with overseas institutions of higher education and other organizations located in the NRC's area of study, and collaborative projects with other centers and institutions that address themes of global importance.
The Department of Education NRC grant helps LAII and the broader UNM community to further strengthen their national contribution and excellence in:
- Teaching modern foreign languages;
- Instruction in fields necessary to provide a full understanding of the areas, regions, or countries in which the languages are commonly used;
- Resources for training and research in international and foreign language aspects of professional and other fields of study;
- Opportunities for training and research on issues in world affairs that concern one or more countries;
- Outreach and consultative services on a national, regional and local basis, particularly in serving K-12 educators;
- Linkages with overseas institutions of higher education and other organizations that may contribute to the teaching and research of the center;
- Specialized library collections; and
- Affiliations with scholars engaged in training and research that relates to the center's subject area.
As a current NRC Grantee, the LAII supports the Department of Education’s goals of broadening access to international and foreign language education by traditionally underserved students, faculty, and institutions through collaboration with Minority-Serving Institutions, community college, and teacher education programs.